"I don't know what to snap about."
"I don't do anything interesting."
"I'm at home most of the time."
"My job is mostly me sitting at a computer, how can I snap about that?"
Any of these sound familiar? Some of you might be interested in upping your snapchat game, but don't know what to snap about. Some of you think you have to live an interesting life that is 'worthy' of snapping.
I'm here to tell you that you can snap even if you think you're boring. What may seem boring to you may be interesting to someone else.
Also, there's an amazing blab about this below for you to watch. It was a round table Q&A all about snapchat from myself, Asia Croson, Paige Poppe, and Jamie Hyatt. Hosted by Melissa Opie. Speaking of Melissa Opie, she offers a free snapchat school teaching you how to use it from step 0. Check it out here.
Snapchat is the ultimate know, like, and trust platform. Think of it as informal vlogging.
"But what if my face is a mess?"
This isn't tumblr or instagram, not everything needs to look pretty & professional. Use one of the filters if you're worried. Your followers just like to see what you're up to & how you do life + business.
Let's get started with some ideas. Now, your routines & business help shape some of your options. So, I've come up with as many generic ones as I could. If you're stuck, please leave a comment with what it is you do & what your days look like and I can give you some more specific ideas!
Let me know if you want another post with general snapchat tips. For example, keeping your photos short and treating your story like an actual story with a beginning, transitions, and end.
- What are you working on? Tell us or show us.
- What is upcoming in your business that you're excited about?
- What's inspiring you today? A quote, photo, song, book...show us
- Have morning routines? Like tea, working out, reading, taking a walk, playing with your pet, making breakfast, meditating, journaling, planning your day? Show us in either video clips or 2 second photos.
- outfit of the day (OOTD) and/or face of the day (FOTD) especially for beauty bloggers
- Show us your work. Especially if you're an artist, photographer, stylist, or creator.
- If you work with clients, show them to us (if it's okay with them). It can be as simple as the two of you saying hi to snapchat. You can tell us what you two are doing. You can ask your client for a snapchat testimonial.
- Do you have gear in your work? Makeup cases, photo gear, planners/notebooks/pens, anything you have to pack up to get ready for work. Show us that.
- Again with the gear, have a favorite item?
- Snap & write. Write us a note/quote, or just do your planning & regular note taking.
- Use a snap or two to give a tip or mini blurb of a story or info related to what you do. Like a ten second blog post. TIP: when talking to snapchat, I wouldn't recommend using more than 4 snaps in a row. When you are using a few snaps in a row to say something, you can make it fun by sometimes adding in a random filter. Draw. Text out a main point to your snap. Or use visuals.
- Keep yourself accountable. Tell us what you're working on (editing photos, creating a blog post) and report back on it later. Are you finished? How much work is left? Did you hit a snag?
- It's important to take frequent quick breaks when you work from home at a computer, what do you do on your breaks? Think others might benefit? Do you do a specific set of stretches? Have a favorite song to pump you up? Refill your water? Get a snack? Soak up a few minutes of sunshine?
- Put a "home spin" on popular snaps you see:
- walking to starbucks --> walking to your kitchen
- sitting down to work at a coffee house --> sitting down to work at your home office
- Favorites. If something is SO good then share it. Think of more than physical products, what about favorite apps, programs, instagram accounts, people....
- Big life events. Snapchat is a mix of personal & business life. We want to share in the big moments, too.
If you need more inspiration, simply watch other snapchatters and get ideas of what to share. That's my favorite source of snapchat inspiration.
I would suggest you play around. The good thing is, it doesn't stick around on a profile or feed. Your snaps are live for only 24hrs.
Leave a Comment:
- Do you have a tip to share?
- Which tip will you try?
- Want more ideas? Share what you do & what your day looks like for some specific suggestions.